When it comes to world-class museums and cultural offerings, Chicago is second to no city. To highlight the city’s extraordinary cultural institutions, Chicago Museum Week returns for its second year Oct. 13 – 23 with discounted admission, exclusive offers and special programs. During the 11-day celebration, Illinois residents will receive 10 – 25 percent off admission at participating institutions.
Museums In the Park, an association of 12 museums on Chicago Park District land, hosts the annual celebration. This year’s lineup includes 15 additional Chicago cultural institutions and an expanded list of deals, special programming and offerings.
“Everyone has that special something they’re curious or passionate about,” said Gary T. Johnson, president, Museums In the Park. “Museum Week gives visitors the opportunity to explore and learn from Chicago’s world-renowned museums and cultural institutions. Whether you’re a local and it’s been a while, or you’re a first-time visitor, Museum Week offers unparalleled options at an unbeatable price.”
This year’s special programming is sure to excite curious minds of every interest. During Museum Week, guests can participate in exclusive experiences including:
- Program a rover, discover a rock sample from outer space and pretend to be an astronaut at the Adler Planetarium
- Free art-making activities for all ages at Artist’s Studio at The Art Institute of Chicago
- A special exhibit on Abraham Lincoln’s most important speeches at the Chicago History Museum
- Drapetomanía, an Afro-Caribbean visual arts and cultural display at the DuSable Museum of African American History
- An entire exhibit on tattoos at The Field Museum
- A unique harvest celebration at Lincoln Park Zoo’s Fall Fest
- Free programming from Chicago artists at the Museum of Contemporary Art
- The annual Science Works career fair for students and families and an adults-only evening event, MSI After Hours, at the Museum of Science and Industry
- Annual Folk Art Festival, a Folk Art Workshop and a Drop-In Drawing and Guided Tour at The National Museum of Mexican Art
- Artistic-scientific approximations about El Yunque Rainforest at The National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture
- An inaugural Citizen Science Fair at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
- Animal chats and encounters at the Shedd Aquarium
New this year, 15 additional Chicago cultural institutions will join in the celebration. From the Chicago Children’s Museum to the Swedish American Museum, Museum Week will offer visitors even more opportunities to feed their inner explorer.
Special offers and activities during Museum Week include discounts on general admission and memberships, extended hours, free tours, new exhibits, educational programs and giveaways. A complete schedule and the full list of participating institutions is available at chicagomuseumweek.com.
Chicagoans, visitors and museum buffs are encouraged to share their memories and new experiences on social media using #ChicagoMuseumWeek.
Members of Museums In the Park include: Adler Planetarium, The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago History Museum, DuSable Museum of African American History, The Field Museum, Lincoln Park Zoo, Museum of Contemporary Art, Museum of Science and Industry, National Museum of Mexican Art, National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture, The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum and John G. Shedd Aquarium.